VILLA BELZA, Biarritz/France (Thursday, April 28, 2011)– ASP International and Roxy are proud to confirm that the ASP Women’s Longboard World Title (WLT) event that traditionally comes to Biarritz during July will be joined this year by the ASP Top 17 as well as wildcard Lee-Ann Curren (FRA), 20, for the sixth event of the 2011 ASP Women’s World Title season, the Roxy Pro Biarritz.
The newly-minted event offers a dream line-up, including reigning four-time ASP World Champion Stephanie Gilmore (AUS), 23, current ASP Women’s World No. 1 Carissa Moore (HAW), 18, 2010 ASP Women’s World Runner-Up Sally Fitzgibbons (AUS), 20, lethal rookie Tyler Wright (AUS), 17, as well as the remainder of the ASP Top 17.
The world’s best female surfers will surf alongside the some of the world’s best noseriders, including Jennifer Smith (USA) double World Champion and icon of the discipline Kassia Meador (USA).
The two competitions will be run during the same period. The Roxy Jam will be renamed the Roxy Pro for this occasion. On the longboard side, the girls will compete in the first of two legs of the ASP Women’s World Longboard Circuit in Biarritz on the Cote des Basques, whilst the surfers will compete in their penultimate event of the season at nearby Villa Belza, or at one of neighboring spots, which will have a mobile structure to have the best wave conditions.
The Roxy Pro, July 11th – 17th July in Biarritz:
· First of two legs of the ASP Women’s World Longboard Championship 2011.
· Sixth and penultimate event of the ASP World Shortboard Championship 2011.
The Roxy Pro in Biarritz will be webcast LIVE via www.roxy.com
The Roxy Pro in Biarritz will exist as the penultimate event on the current 2011 ASP Women’s World Title season:
– Roxy Pro Gold Coast (won by Carissa Moore)
– Rip Curl Women’s Pro Bells Beach (won by Sally Fitzgibbons)
– Subaru Pro TSB Bank Women’s Surf Festival in New Zealand
– Commonwealth Bank Beachley Classic in Sydney
– Billabong Rio Pro in Brazil
– Roxy Pro in Biarritz
– US Open of Surfing in Huntington Beach
For more information, log onto www.aspworldtour.com