We are proud to announce that the fourth annual Steep and Deep Pipeline Photo Challenge is underway! The contest, held in memory of legendary Pipeline surfer and big-wave charger, Sion Milosky, looks to crown the best surf photograph of the year at Pipeline and Backdoor. Past winners include photographers Zak Noyle and Tony Heff and surfers Billy Kemper, Nathan Florence and Tyler Newton. With winter swells already knocking on the North Shore's door we're optimistic for the best season of competition yet!
The 2014-2015 Steep and Deep contest will benefit from a couple of key changes in its format:
1) All Steep and Deep entries will be submitted by photographers by tagging their Pipeline Instagram photos to #steepanddeep2015. Name of surfer and photographer should be noted.
2) While 10 finalists will be chosen by a group of photography and Pipeline specialists, the public will vote to decide the best photo of the year.
This new approach will make it easier for photographers and surfers to enter their images and for fans to keep track of competition frontrunners as the season unfolds. Stay tuned to #steepanddeep2015 and @steepanddeeppipeline for the season's best photos from the world's most spectacular wave!
• Registration will take place at Sunset Beach Elementary on December 7, 2014 from 6 – 8pm. Online registration will be available from December 7 – 31. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to register. In person registration encouraged to guarantee comp T-shirt and hat.
• Suggested donation of $25 to the Sion Milosky Memorial Fund requested upon registration. Participants will receive a Steep and Deep competitor T-Shirt, hat and decals with their entry.
• Photos taken between November 1, 2014 and February 8, 2015 will be eligible for the contest.
• Photographers and surfers enter the contest by posting their photos to Instagram and tagging #steepanddeep2015
• Photographer and surfer must be registered by December 31 to be eligible to win
• Prizes. The winning surfer and photographer will each receive $2,500 from Vans, a custom hardwood framed copy of the winning image, a spread in SURFING Magazine, a custom Will Scovel surfboard to the surfer, $2,500 and a swag box to include Kicker audio gear, Oakley, GoPro and custom design set of Futures Fins.
Sion was an extraordinarily talented surfer. His unparalleled bravery, dedication and fearlessness in big waves and his first passion, charging Pipeline, made a lasting impact on the greater surf world and is still the stuff of legend. Sion passed away doing what he loved — surfing big waves — on March 16, 2011 at Maverick's, CA. Steep and Deep celebrates the commitment that Sion embodied by rewarding the surfer and photographer who link up for the best photograph of the winter of Pipeline or Backdoor.
The 2014-2015 Steep and Deep Pipeline Challenge could not be possible without the continued support of our main sponsors Vans, Volcom, SURFING Magazine and Live Like Sion. And many thanks to our prize sponsors who have supported the event from its inception; Will Scovel boards, Kicker, Oakley, GoPro and Future Fins.