Knock, knock… This is not a joke — getting your foot in the door in the surf media can be pretty rough. You’ve got a bag full of rad to offer the world, but that damn door, it’s jammed or something. And on the other side of that door? Fame. Surf trips. Dream job. Maybe some babes. But how the hell do you get in?
Here’s one fantastic way: Enter this contest and win your way in. Baby Cobras is a competition for aspiring creative surfers. Creative surfers that could work at a magazine, make a movie, or get those shots — maybe even better than we can. How does it work? Well, it starts with a prompt, which is this: Tell a story about your home break through words, photos or video. Simple as that. The prompt, in fact, is almost inconsequential. It’s just a way for us to see that you can tell a good story and be creative. Because creative is what we want. Are you the next Aaron Chang? Are you the next Kai Neville? Are you the next Derek Rielly? Show us and enter in your respective area of aspiration.
Baby Cobras works like this:
- Click the link below
- Enter your story about your home break in your medium of choice
- Video: Upload video that’s under 3 minutes
- Photos: Create a photo series of between 5 and 10 photos
- Writing: Upload a piece that’s between 100 and 1,000 words
- You have to do all that before September 23, 2012
- Between September 24 and October 8 your entries will be judged by the public, top five entries in each category plus one wildcard make it to the finals
- If you make it to the finals, you’ll have an opportunity to edit your submission and reenter by October 15
- We pick three winners, one from each category
- Some fine print: you have to be between the ages of 18 and 27, live in the USA and not work for any other surf media
The pay-off? You don’t just get your foot in the door, we put your asses (all three of you) on a plane to Hawaii to document a week on the North Shore season. We’ll link you up with a room, board and some athletes to document. Whatever creative awesomeness you come up with will be published online and in the magazine. Then comes the fame. Dream jobs. Maybe some babes.
Write — Shoot — Film — Strike! Click here to enter.