And it’s actual Nike, not the red-haired 6.0 stepchild Nike adopted and raised as its own. That little tyke’s going back to the orphanage. Now we’re talking about the real swooshing, just doing it, Tiger-LeBron-Kobe-Jordan-Phil Knight temple of sport that is Nike, Inc.
The prime-time TV commercials with Jules Wilson and Kolohe run during the NBA Finals might have been a sign that this is serious, and while the broader pros and cons of Nike’s arrival could be debated to death, one pretty sweet side effect is the clip below. It’s from a video contest (called “Chosen“) Nike just launched to attract and showcase talented surf crews — like these boys, a few now-familiar faces from Maui you might recognize. If anyone still needs convincing that Matt Meola, Albee Layer, Hank Gaskell and Dege O’Connell are too legit for the underground, see below. Three days on Maui from the “Chomp Proper” crew for Nike’s Chosen video contest:
For more from these guys — we’ve been fans for years now — here’s a selection of some of our Chomp Proper-est posts from the past:
- 10 Photos // Maui // Quincy Dein: A photo gallery of the boys from their home on the Valley Isle
- Matt Meola’s Winning Innersection: The clip that netted Matt $100k
- North Shore Underground:Hank on Hank: Hank Gaskell describes how he got here from a promising am career, as part of our 2010 North Shore Underground project
- North Shore Underground: The Hank Episode: A few minutes getting to know the man called Hippie Hana Hank
- You Are Here: Beyond the MeolaLayer: A look at the makeshift blog/surf vid production house run by Matt and Albee — and the freaky stuff they’re putting out